Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Import Legacy DTS Packages into SQL Server 2005 using SMO

I was hoping someone can point me to a resource for SMO and importing legacy DTS packages from SQL Server 2000.

We are getting ready to upgrade our SQL Servers from 2000 to 2005. We have a lot of DTS packages that we plan on continuing to use in 2005. I found a script I used to export all of the old DTS packages out of our 2000 servers;

DECLARE @.TARGETDIR varchar(1000)

SET @.TARGETDIR = 'C:\DTSTest\'

SELECT distinct

'DTSRUN.EXE /S '

+ CONVERT(varchar(200), SERVERPROPERTY('servername'))

+ ' /E '

+ ' /N '

+ '"' + name + '"'

+ ' /F '

+ '"' + @.TARGETDIR + name + '.dts"'

+ ' /!X'

FROM msdb.dbo.sysdtspackages P

Now I need to write a script to import them into 2005.

I have been reading that I should be using SMO to do my database scripting in 2005. As I have been going through the libraries, almost everything seems to be geared for importing SSIS packages, and not legacy DTS packages.

Does anyone know of someone or some resource that might be able to help me out.

Thank you,

dfpelican

Our developers here found that there were sufficient problems in upgrading DTS packages that it was worth rebuilding the packages in SSIS directly, taking advantage of the new control flow processes in SSIS.|||

+1

I can second that from my experience.

HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

|||Migration business is not good. Just buy the new stuff and redo. Actually that is what the software vendor really wants you to do.|||

did you have any luck with your DTS upgrading?

or did you rewrite?, it sounded like you had a lot of them to upgrade

or i guess you would have already re-written instead.

I'm in a similar boat with out flagship salon software product.

Any spockish tips would be appreciated.

Craig Kelly-Soens

http://www.salonsoftwaresystem.com

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment