Friday, March 30, 2012

Import PARADOX Problems

Hello,

I've the following problem. I've to read out the data of a custom
application. I think (I'm not sure) this application is using a
Paradox DB to store it's information. I don't know it exactly cause
I'm not familar with paradox at all, but I've found files like *.db,
*.mb, *.px, *.xg*, *.yg* !!!
I need the infomation from this files to combine it with other data
stored in SQL 2000. I'm tried DTS to import the Data but I've got an
"Microsoft JET Database" Error telling me that the table could not be
found or that the table has not the asumed format. It depends on which
*.db File i try to open. Description: Error calling the OPENROWSET
method on the provider.

My Questions, are there some special drivers i need, not included in
MS MDAC Components or must I use a complete Databaseserver in the
Backgroud hosting the DB Files. My developer station has the custom
application NOT installed. The db files seems to have no password set.
I've got the same error when using MS Access to import the data. I
only set the path to the dictionary where the files are in but leave
username and password blank.

HOW TO GET THIS DATA OUT ?

Thank you

TonyTony,

Before wasting a lot more time, get a copy of Paradox and see if
you can open these files. If not, they probably aren't Paradox files.
The only evidence you give that these are unprotected Paradox files
is that they have Paradox extensions and "seem to have no password
set", whatever that means.

The evidence that they are not unprotected Paradox files seems
stronger - dts doesn't understand them.

I've used the Import/Export Data wizard with the Microsoft Driver
for Paradox successfully, but if you still think these may be Paradox
files, see if Paradox agrees with you.

-- Steve Kass
-- Drew University
-- Ref: 5F4FF6F4-815B-4EE8-AE48-5C556CF24104

TonyMontana wrote:
> Hello,
> I've the following problem. I've to read out the data of a custom
> application. I think (I'm not sure) this application is using a
> Paradox DB to store it's information. I don't know it exactly cause
> I'm not familar with paradox at all, but I've found files like *.db,
> *.mb, *.px, *.xg*, *.yg* !!!
> I need the infomation from this files to combine it with other data
> stored in SQL 2000. I'm tried DTS to import the Data but I've got an
> "Microsoft JET Database" Error telling me that the table could not be
> found or that the table has not the asumed format. It depends on which
> *.db File i try to open. Description: Error calling the OPENROWSET
> method on the provider.
> My Questions, are there some special drivers i need, not included in
> MS MDAC Components or must I use a complete Databaseserver in the
> Backgroud hosting the DB Files. My developer station has the custom
> application NOT installed. The db files seems to have no password set.
> I've got the same error when using MS Access to import the data. I
> only set the path to the dictionary where the files are in but leave
> username and password blank.
> HOW TO GET THIS DATA OUT ?
> Thank you
> Tony|||Hello Steve,

thanks for your help. I've found a bde installation and now i can
access the tables via the SQL Tool for BDE by Stefan Bodingh www.bodingh.se
so I can assume that the data is not encrypted and not currupt.
Nevertheless i can't
access them via ODBC or the MS PAradox driver. I've tried it on 2 machines.
Is the a command line tool out there which i can use to export the tables to
text [csv] Files? Pherhaps a special one for bde without so much
incompability as the ODBC connection seems to have.

regards

Tony

"Steve Kass" <skass@.drew.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:yGt5b.27082$Om1.16634@.newsread2.news.atl.eart hlink.net...
> Tony,
> Before wasting a lot more time, get a copy of Paradox and see if
> you can open these files. If not, they probably aren't Paradox files.
> The only evidence you give that these are unprotected Paradox files
> is that they have Paradox extensions and "seem to have no password
> set", whatever that means.
> The evidence that they are not unprotected Paradox files seems
> stronger - dts doesn't understand them.
> I've used the Import/Export Data wizard with the Microsoft Driver
> for Paradox successfully, but if you still think these may be Paradox
> files, see if Paradox agrees with you.
> -- Steve Kass
> -- Drew University
> -- Ref: 5F4FF6F4-815B-4EE8-AE48-5C556CF24104
> TonyMontana wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I've the following problem. I've to read out the data of a custom
> > application. I think (I'm not sure) this application is using a
> > Paradox DB to store it's information. I don't know it exactly cause
> > I'm not familar with paradox at all, but I've found files like *.db,
> > *.mb, *.px, *.xg*, *.yg* !!!
> > I need the infomation from this files to combine it with other data
> > stored in SQL 2000. I'm tried DTS to import the Data but I've got an
> > "Microsoft JET Database" Error telling me that the table could not be
> > found or that the table has not the asumed format. It depends on which
> > *.db File i try to open. Description: Error calling the OPENROWSET
> > method on the provider.
> > My Questions, are there some special drivers i need, not included in
> > MS MDAC Components or must I use a complete Databaseserver in the
> > Backgroud hosting the DB Files. My developer station has the custom
> > application NOT installed. The db files seems to have no password set.
> > I've got the same error when using MS Access to import the data. I
> > only set the path to the dictionary where the files are in but leave
> > username and password blank.
> > HOW TO GET THIS DATA OUT ?
> > Thank you
> > Tony|||Tony,

I think you might find some people who know in a Paradox
newsgroup. I'm not sure why the MS driver doesn't work.
It only lists Paradox versions up to 5.0, though, so perhaps
can't handle recent versions.

SK

Tony.Montana wrote:
> Hello Steve,
> thanks for your help. I've found a bde installation and now i can
> access the tables via the SQL Tool for BDE by Stefan Bodingh www.bodingh.se
> so I can assume that the data is not encrypted and not currupt.
> Nevertheless i can't
> access them via ODBC or the MS PAradox driver. I've tried it on 2 machines.
> Is the a command line tool out there which i can use to export the tables to
> text [csv] Files? Pherhaps a special one for bde without so much
> incompability as the ODBC connection seems to have.
> regards
> Tony
> "Steve Kass" <skass@.drew.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:yGt5b.27082$Om1.16634@.newsread2.news.atl.eart hlink.net...
>>Tony,
>>
>> Before wasting a lot more time, get a copy of Paradox and see if
>>you can open these files. If not, they probably aren't Paradox files.
>> The only evidence you give that these are unprotected Paradox files
>>is that they have Paradox extensions and "seem to have no password
>>set", whatever that means.
>>
>> The evidence that they are not unprotected Paradox files seems
>>stronger - dts doesn't understand them.
>>
>> I've used the Import/Export Data wizard with the Microsoft Driver
>>for Paradox successfully, but if you still think these may be Paradox
>>files, see if Paradox agrees with you.
>>
>>-- Steve Kass
>>-- Drew University
>>-- Ref: 5F4FF6F4-815B-4EE8-AE48-5C556CF24104
>>
>>TonyMontana wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I've the following problem. I've to read out the data of a custom
>>>application. I think (I'm not sure) this application is using a
>>>Paradox DB to store it's information. I don't know it exactly cause
>>>I'm not familar with paradox at all, but I've found files like *.db,
>>>*.mb, *.px, *.xg*, *.yg* !!!
>>>I need the infomation from this files to combine it with other data
>>>stored in SQL 2000. I'm tried DTS to import the Data but I've got an
>>>"Microsoft JET Database" Error telling me that the table could not be
>>>found or that the table has not the asumed format. It depends on which
>>>*.db File i try to open. Description: Error calling the OPENROWSET
>>>method on the provider.
>>>
>>>My Questions, are there some special drivers i need, not included in
>>>MS MDAC Components or must I use a complete Databaseserver in the
>>>Backgroud hosting the DB Files. My developer station has the custom
>>>application NOT installed. The db files seems to have no password set.
>>>I've got the same error when using MS Access to import the data. I
>>>only set the path to the dictionary where the files are in but leave
>>>username and password blank.
>>>
>>>HOW TO GET THIS DATA OUT ?
>>>
>>>Thank you
>>>
>>>Tony
>>|||Steve,

I am almost sure the Microsoft stuff read only to what are called LEVEL 5
databases (basically Paradox Version 5 and below). There was Paradox 7, 9,
and 10. Which I think are LEVEL 7 databases. Probably what happend was
that the developer put some field types that are only supported in LEVEL 7
and up.

Oscar...
"Steve Kass" <skass@.drew.edu> wrote in message
news:mpN5b.30725$Om1.4521@.newsread2.news.atl.earth link.net...
> Tony,
> I think you might find some people who know in a Paradox
> newsgroup. I'm not sure why the MS driver doesn't work.
> It only lists Paradox versions up to 5.0, though, so perhaps
> can't handle recent versions.
> SK
> Tony.Montana wrote:
> > Hello Steve,
> > thanks for your help. I've found a bde installation and now i can
> > access the tables via the SQL Tool for BDE by Stefan Bodingh
www.bodingh.se
> > so I can assume that the data is not encrypted and not currupt.
> > Nevertheless i can't
> > access them via ODBC or the MS PAradox driver. I've tried it on 2
machines.
> > Is the a command line tool out there which i can use to export the
tables to
> > text [csv] Files? Pherhaps a special one for bde without so much
> > incompability as the ODBC connection seems to have.
> > regards
> > Tony
> > "Steve Kass" <skass@.drew.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:yGt5b.27082$Om1.16634@.newsread2.news.atl.eart hlink.net...
> >>Tony,
> >>
> >> Before wasting a lot more time, get a copy of Paradox and see if
> >>you can open these files. If not, they probably aren't Paradox files.
> >> The only evidence you give that these are unprotected Paradox files
> >>is that they have Paradox extensions and "seem to have no password
> >>set", whatever that means.
> >>
> >> The evidence that they are not unprotected Paradox files seems
> >>stronger - dts doesn't understand them.
> >>
> >> I've used the Import/Export Data wizard with the Microsoft Driver
> >>for Paradox successfully, but if you still think these may be Paradox
> >>files, see if Paradox agrees with you.
> >>
> >>-- Steve Kass
> >>-- Drew University
> >>-- Ref: 5F4FF6F4-815B-4EE8-AE48-5C556CF24104
> >>
> >>TonyMontana wrote:
> >>
> >>>Hello,
> >>>
> >>>I've the following problem. I've to read out the data of a custom
> >>>application. I think (I'm not sure) this application is using a
> >>>Paradox DB to store it's information. I don't know it exactly cause
> >>>I'm not familar with paradox at all, but I've found files like *.db,
> >>>*.mb, *.px, *.xg*, *.yg* !!!
> >>>I need the infomation from this files to combine it with other data
> >>>stored in SQL 2000. I'm tried DTS to import the Data but I've got an
> >>>"Microsoft JET Database" Error telling me that the table could not be
> >>>found or that the table has not the asumed format. It depends on which
> >>>*.db File i try to open. Description: Error calling the OPENROWSET
> >>>method on the provider.
> >>>
> >>>My Questions, are there some special drivers i need, not included in
> >>>MS MDAC Components or must I use a complete Databaseserver in the
> >>>Backgroud hosting the DB Files. My developer station has the custom
> >>>application NOT installed. The db files seems to have no password set.
> >>>I've got the same error when using MS Access to import the data. I
> >>>only set the path to the dictionary where the files are in but leave
> >>>username and password blank.
> >>>
> >>>HOW TO GET THIS DATA OUT ?
> >>>
> >>>Thank you
> >>>
> >>>Tony
> >sql

No comments:

Post a Comment