Monday, March 12, 2012

Import data from SQL Server 2000 incredibly slow

I have a problem with bad perfomance with my import of data from a SQL Server 2000 database. I use an OLEDB datasource in my SSIS package to connect to the sql server 2000 database. My 2005 server runs 64bits but i dont think this is an issue. With this configuration the import is VERY slow, we are talking about 40+ minutes to get 3.5 million rows with about 20 columns. When i create a test DTS package on the SQL Server 2000 server itself and run it, its blazingly fast. Has anyone run into something similar?

Have you done any debuggin of where the bottleneck occurs? Donald Farmer explains some useful ways to do this, see here:

SSIS: Donald Farmer's Technet webcast
(http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson/archive/2006/06/14/4076.aspx)

-Jamie

|||I had a look at the webcast. While it contains a lot of good stuff on optimization it doesnt really help me in this particular case. I tested the SSIS package against a mirror of the production server on another box, and it ran about 10X faster. So there has to be somenthing with the way the server is set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment