Friday, March 9, 2012

Import data from another table

Hello

I have created a table in mssql.2000 which holds details of names etc. I have also included categories of interest. However the table is growing very big and unmanageable as the list of interest expand.

Instead I would like to create seperate tables for each category of interest within the same database and populate the table with names taken from the Names_Table I could then indicated yes or no if any name is interested in this category.

for example: Art_category.

However, I am unsure how I can import the column of names from the Names_Table to polulate the NameID column in the Art_category table.

I would appreciate advice and possibly a link to step by step tutorial.

Thanks.

Lynn

Not sure whehter this is what you want, but try:

INSERT INTO Art_category (NameID) SELECT names FROM Names_Table

|||

Thank you fou your reply.

Will this automatically update when a new name is added?

|||You can put the insertion in a trigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment