Friday, March 9, 2012

import data from Excel

Hi:

I imported data from Excel to a table on SQL Server throught Data Transformation Services.

All data with a under score(like 1_5, 7_5) were replaced by Nulls. Is there any comment

about that?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Kevin JinWhat data type did you have the column that 1_5 was going into?|||you can change the field in sql server table.
data will remain same|||Slynch:

Thank you for your response. I did use nvarchar.

Regards,

Kevin Jin|||Mateenmohd:

Thank you for your response. Could you please let me know the detail about your idea. I'm interested in that.

Regards,

Kevin Jin|||Importing from Excel is a pain in the neck As far as I can tell, Excel decides what type your data is and that's the final deal. In Excel, save it as a csv text file, then import the text file. I've tried importing from Excel a million different ways and it always deletes data due to some wacky reason. I knew a guy who knew a guy who was on the Excel team and basically, just export from Excel to text and forget about trying to use Excel. In my opinion, they tried to make Excel work like a database so accountants wouldn't have to use Access or learn anything about databases. Unfortunately, Excel's a rotten database.|||PDraigh:

Thank you for your suggestion.

Regards,

Kevin Jin

No comments:

Post a Comment